Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Getting more work done at work!


ssh
Originally uploaded by tuxspot.
Do you ever get stuck on something at work and wish you had access to your machine at home? I do, so I did something about it, I opened a SSH (Secure Shell) port on my Sparcstation 5 so I could log in securely.

At work we primarily use Windows, though we do have quite a few Linux boxes. For reasons of support and compatibility I've been told to stick with Windows on my primary box. (Which also shares (samba anyone) a printer). Eventually I probably will move to an all Linux box, but I have to prove it can be completely compatible, and I'm busy enough with other details to get everything working.

It may seem useless to have a shell at work, but if you can't install software at work, or need to use software like figlet, a program that creates neat ascii fonts, SSH comes in real handy.

Resources: